and kids

and kids

Friday, July 11, 2014

Church Membership/Communion

Jason and I rarely disagree.  We don't argue much either.  We never have.  Many people warned us about the first year of marriage, but we didn't have that rough first year.  We aren't perfect, we have issues, but screaming fights isn't one of them.

I have one friend who told me recently they went through a set of dishes their first year of marriage.  Honestly, I can't even imagine.  I don't judge them for that, but that is just not "us".  Jason likes to pick fights, but is very patient.  I am extremely stubborn, but not a fighter.  These combinations do lead to issues, like I said, but not a lot of fighting.

In recent years, maybe (jokingly) to Jason's chagrin, I have become much more verbal about my opinions.  When we used to be part of bible studies, I typically just listened and observed but now I seem to express myself better.  I still struggle, I think I always will, but thankfully I have an incredible husband who knows me and has helped me in this area of my life.

So, what does this have to do with church membership?  Our one big disagreement.

We have five children, whom I believe should all be members of our church and taking communion.  I openly believe in paedocommunion, but my husband does not.  And he is the head of our household.  And it has killed my inner being (just being honest here), but I know I am to submit to him.  It has not been that he has "laid down the law" and that was the end of the discussion.  We have talked about it and talked about it and talked about.  Probably for three or four years now.  He has wrestled with it and I have wrestled with it on the other end.  And, in the end, he has the final say.

I don't say this to pat myself on my back, but this has been a major test of submission on my part.  Not that I could sneak around and have my children join the church without Jason.  But patience is not my strong suit and I have had to wait on my husband to feel our children were ready to join the church.

So, two weeks ago, he went before the Session with the three oldest and they joined the church.  And this past Sunday they got to take communion for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. congrats! i am with you 100% btw... if my vote counts (ha)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter