and kids

and kids

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The dreaded letter from school

I wasn't sure if I'd post this or not, but, what the heck!  Why not?  I'm just writing a family history, not trying to impress anyone.

About every 8 weeks or so I get a letter from the school nurse saying someone in Mrs. ________ room was found with lice.  Please check your child over the next few weeks and treat accordingly.  yuck.  gross.

In seven years that we have had kids in school, we haven't had to deal with it.  You know where this is going, don't you?  Yes, now we have dealt with it.

I can remember as a kid dealing with it a few times.  My mom combing that little bitty comb thru my thick curly hair.  It was terrible.  Not to mention the smell the treatment left behind.

Well, Mac was our victim.  I noticed it late one evening and I had to quickly go into "crazy mode".  I ran to the drugstore and spent an outrageous amount on shampoos, sprays and repellents.  I stripped all the beds, washed all the sheets, shampooed everyone and washed all the towels, washed all the comforters.  Jason sprayed all the mattresses, couches and chairs and vacuumed them all, along with spraying and vacuuming the van.  It was a long night.  (thankfully, my mom only lives a few doors down, so we were able to use her washer and dryer too, mine never would have made it).

Well, on top of all of this chaos, I'm dealing with some severe Mommy-guilt.  I didn't want to mess with combing thru Mac's curly mop, so I shaved his head.  I didn't even second guess it.  He cried, and cried, and cried, and cried.  It was terrible.  We shave all the boys heads for Summer, and I just did it.

We kept him home the following day because I wasn't sure what the school protocol was.  He was glad because Mommy had shaved his head.  At some point in the afternoon he said, "Can I just stay home until my hair grows back?"  Words like a dagger in my heart.

Well, he went back to school today.  I warned his teacher about this emotional uprising.  She texted me this picture and said this was Mac's new look all day:
Who would have thought a 5-year would care that much about a new haircut.  *sigh*

Now I just have to get over the fact that I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me, all the time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter