and kids

and kids

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bomb Threat

Tavis' class sang in chapel today, so I went to school to support that. I decided to stay for lunch and eat with the kids. As I was packing up, I got a text on my phone from the school about a bomb threat that they were investigating. At that time I could see the teachers around me getting lock-down messages on their CB radios.

I headed to the front office (where you exit the school) and asked what Mac and I were supposed to do. I was told I could join the lock-down in an office or get out, but if I left the parking lot, I would not be allowed to come back until they got an 'all clear' from the authorities. Since the kids were already in lock-down there was no way I could get my children, so I just went to the car and waited. There is no way I was just going to leave.

I knew there was nothing I could do, but I really couldn't imagine, hearing of a bomb threat, knowing my children were inside and just driving off. I didn't think it was responsible of me to stay in the school either, just in case something did happen, there was no reason to put Mac and I in harms way.

So we waited!

We watched as cops blocked every entrance to the school, not letting anyone onto campus. We then watched as the bomb squad got in uniform and entered the school with their dogs. What a crazy feeling. Then ambulances joined the police cars and bomb squad in the parking lot and they just sat there waiting too, just in case!

It was so weird to me. I just sat there, in the car, waiting. It was a little stressful to think about, but after an hour passed and they sent a text that high school and middle school were secure, another 45 minutes or so and the elementary school was secure.

Thank the Lord, they found nothing.

Apparently, there was a note with the threat. After discussing it with the authorities, they decided to have the lock-down. I know no other details. I am so thankful for a school that, I feel, handled things wonderfully.

Not sure who would do such a crazy thing as a bomb threat at a school, but people don't always make sense. Just hoping they can find the author of that note.

Another day in the life of me!

3 comments:

  1. When I picked up the girls today, I asked if they got any schoolwork done thinking they would say 'no', etc...but, instead Lexi named all her classes then said, oh and we were in lockdown. Jenna added 'everyone was in the gym' but it was no big deal...they didn't really have a clue and for that I'm thankful... kids weren't really alarmed - I agree, they handled it great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited to know they hadn't told the kids exactly what was going on - some just assumed it was a drill. Unfortunately, when going back to their classrooms, two of my boys saw the bomb squad - in uniform, with guns, so there was no hiding it at our house.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter