and kids

and kids

Friday, October 22, 2010

What's your 'Love Language'?

Have you ever read the 5 Love Languages book? Have you ever taken the online quiz to see what your love language is?

The 5 Love Languages are: Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Gifts, and Acts of Service.

I've decided to read this book and probably will refer to it in future posts. I've studied it in different groups, but I'm ashamed to say that doesn't mean I've read the book. I hear there is one about raising children too. As I try to understand the minds of five different little ones (especially one emotional daughter), it might be helpful to read that one too.

I took the quiz and just knew what my outcome would be, but I wasn't entirely correct? I assumed my Love Language would be Quality Time. I require a lot of one-on-one time from Jason. I also am a snuggler so I guessed Physical Touch would be a close second.

I had a 3-way tie. Quality Time, Physical Touch and Words of Affirmation. Does that mean I'm higher maintenance than the average women?

So, all of this, before I pick up the book - It makes me wonder: Do you think your Love Language is molded by who you marry? OR Are you attracted to someone that speaks your love language? OR Are there just those couples that really struggle because they aren't on the same page? Probably, all of the above!

The weird thing for me is that I've been told (remember I haven't read the book yet) that you usually speak the language that you like to be loved by the most. For Jason, my 3-way tie would make sense. I need lots of time with him, I have to be holding his hand when we are close and I love that he is very, very complimentary (and that our boys are picking up on that for their wives one day). But in my day-to-day life of friends, I'd say I show love by gifts - treats, cards (which as I'm writing this, I'm thinking this probably goes under Words of Affirmation, not Gifts?), small surprises?? On my quiz I got a "zero" for Gifts, but maybe that is because my husband isn't a gift giver so I couldn't relate to the questions on the quiz.

Hmmmmm.

Just thinking "out loud"!!!

What is your Love Language? Are you sure?

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this book too. My parents gave it to us for Christmas last year and I still haven't gotten around to it. You are motivating me to get it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the quiz but Gary has not! But mine was a two way tie of Quality Time and Physical Touch! I think that it is interesting that we were very close. The way were brought up perhaps, because the runner up of those two were words of Affirmation. Thought that is was interesting that we were very close in our Language!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hus and I realized early on in our marriage that although it is natural to love others in your own love language, that that may not be the way they recieve love. Does that make sense? Paul and I have different love languages and so we've had to learn (and keep reminding ourselves) to make an effort to love the other in THEIR love language.
    I would be interested in reading the one for loving your kids. I've tried to figure out thier love languages but it's hard when they are young. At this point, I feel like all 3 of my kids would have a 4 ways tie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister's did a study at her church on the Love languages of kids and she said it was very good, but it said you really can't determine until they are 6 or 8?

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter