and kids

and kids

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Flashcards

If you've been with me lately, you may have heard me complain about flashcards. I think part of the problem is that, as a 3rd and 4th grader, they caused me a lot of anguish and many, many stomach aches. I really struggled with the multiplication table and I think part of it was because I struggled so much with memory work.

At CCS they teach 'Math Their Way'. It emphasizes concepts and manipulations in kindergarten and 1st grade before they start timed tests and math worksheets in 2nd grade. It is to help the kids see why 2+2=4 instead of just getting them to memorize it. I think this would have helped me immensely.

After all my frustration and tears, I ended up in summer school for math and was taught all these concepts. Then I was able to do the math and I ended up loving my high school math classes. I only went to college for two years, but my favorite classes were the ones that had to do with Calculus.

I even was a math tutor for many years. This was fun for me, but was a little bit of a struggle because my mind works in a different pattern then others. Since I don't memorize stats very well (but I can remember birthdays, addresses and phone numbers???) I came up with my own system for the multiplication table.

Tonight Mollee and I were doing flashcards. She is doing much better, but she struggles with the same ones each time. She also freezes at the 'timed' aspect, don't ask her to do math facts because you read this entry, Please! I tried to explain to her my system, but I don't know if they were more confusing than helpful.

Let me try to give you some examples.

We all like the 11 x ?? because you know it is just the number doubled. 11 x 9 = 99, 11 x 6 = 66, 11 x 4 = 44. For 12's I take that answer and just add one more. Jason said it doesn't work for people that can't see math problems in their head?? So, 12 x 6 = 66 + 6, does that make sense?

For 8's I do double, double, double. It just works for me. 8 x 7 = 7, 14, 28, 56

For 9's I do the 10 x answer minus itself. 9 x 6 = 60 - 6 = 54

OK, this sounds crazier and crazier as I try to type it out, but it is what works for me. Any tips that work for you?

I know my brother, Philip, understands!

2 comments:

  1. I understand completely! I always start with the 5x or 10x answer (whichever is closer) and add or subtract from there. I never could just spit them out by memory...I had to work them out in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. may I just say that I DESPISE times tables and am now with you in trying to teach them to my kids and reliving that nightmare. you're system is COMPLELTELY understandable.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter