and kids

and kids

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Volunteering!

Some would say I'm a control freak. Maybe I am, a little?

When the kids were little and we had a 1, 2, 3, and 4 year old running around, I would give Jason too many instructions when I'd head out the door. Cut Daegan's crust off his sandwich. Don't use too much jelly it makes a mess. Don't forget to take (whoever was potty training at the time) to the bathroom. etc. etc. etc. You get the point. But in my defense, kids weren't always taken to the bathroom and allergy medicine isn't always remembered at bedtime.

Sending my kids to school was a challenge for me in the beginning because I relinquishing that 'control' to someone else. The alternative is homeschooling, which I don't feel I am cut out for, but I am careful to never say never because I know the Lord's plans are not always my plans. For now, I am beyond thankful we are able to send them to a Christian school.

I love being involved in the classrooms at school. Two years ago I was Room Mom for Mollee's class and loved every bit of organizing the parties and being in charge. The only down fall was that I was in charge of her parties and wasn't available to participate in the boy's parties.

I've always wanted to be more involved in volunteering in the classroom but I've always had two or more at home that would need a babysitter every time I did something. Each class has "centers". This is when the classroom divides into four or five small groups and works on different activities, whether it is math or reading or a craft. I've wished that I could volunteer to help the teachers these centers and also with lunches. Each grade has a day that the teachers meet at lunch and they have a parent stay with their students and then takes them to recess.

This year, it is just me and Mac. I've signed up to help with lunches for 3rd grade on Wednesdays and 4th grade on Thursdays and Mac can just tag along. I'm also going to help with Centers for 1st grade on Fridays and for kindergarten on Thursdays. I won't be doing this every week, but I will be doing it for each class at least twice a month.

Why? Because I love it! I know it isn't for everyone, but I am so excited to be able to do it this year. There is a good chance that when Mac goes to kindergarten I will be getting a job, so, for now, I'm going to volunteer as much as possible.

Just this morning I've been asked to be Room Mom for both kindergarten and 4th grade, and I'm actually thinking about doing both if I can pull it off.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a control freak too! Your time volunteering is probably so meaningful to the teachers! As soon as my girls start their little MDO program, I hope to do something in Charlie's class. Thanks for the encouragement on fb. =) If you go back to work, what would you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a 400 pg dissertation a few minutes ago that evidently didn't get posted. I'll be more concise...I too wish I could volunteer...I was hoping you would do 1st grade and I would help bunches...blah blah I've been dealing with medical insurance and I think you posted about that but couldn't find it later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome...if mine were in school I'd be doing the same thing and loving it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter