and kids

and kids

Sunday, August 29, 2010

How quickly we forget!

When you are in the midst of parenting little ones, you wonder how much longer you can handle certain things. With an infant, I never thought I'd get a full nights sleep. With toddlers, I never thought I'd get a shower at a decent time of the day. With potty training, I never thought I'd get to wash my face at night without wet underwear draped over the sink.


Everyone tells you, enjoy your little ones, they'll be grown before you know it. Mine aren't grown, but after 9 1/2 years, I don't need a diaper bag anymore. I might throw an extra pair of Mac's underwear and a drink in my purse, but really I don't usually need anything.


Babysitting a 14-month old two or three days a week has made me realize that I have quickly forgotten and that my house is no longer baby-proof. I've forgotten how babies put everything in their mouth. And I've remember why we held off so long buying the boys Legos. I've forgotten how you have to schedule your day around naptime. I've forgotten how messy feeding a toddler can be. I've forgotten that you have to leave the bathroom door closed so toys don't end up in the toilet. I've forgotten that if little hands get a hold of your remote control, you may never see it again. And I've forgotten just how stubborn some little ones can be, but I haven't forgotten this about the older ones.


But, I don't want to forget all these things. Good and Bad. Mac will be 5 soon (as he tells everyone as if it will be next week instead of a year and a half away) and be going to kindergarten.

Then what will I have forgotten? Thankfully I have the blog to help me remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter