and kids

and kids

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ahhh...the things kids say!

**WARNING** politically incorrect ahead...

I've mentioned many times before that my sister, Ruth, has moved to South Africa. She spent several summers in a row in Kenya and felt she was being led to Africa as a missionary. On her Kenya trips, these are the pictures we saw when she returned
When plans were being made, she was led to Cape Town, South Africa. I felt relieved for her because it is a little more modern there than in the Kenya locations. She wasn't sure where she would be living, but ended up with an apartment at the seminary.

She has had to learn a different culture. She has learned to eat different foods, to drive on the left side of the road, a different form of barbecue and she has learned many phrases that are not used in America. I even believe that when I talk to her via Skype she has adapted the South African inflection for her sentences.

The demographics in South Africa are different than the rest of Africa. You have about 20% White South Africans, 30% Black South Africans and 41% Coloured South Africans (mixed). Personally, when I think of "Africa" I think of Kenya where you only have about 1% of non-Black Africans, and apparently, so do my children.

Ruth has met someone who is a student at the seminary. His name is Gary and right now they are in a 'courtship' together. We met him via Skype (you've got to love it) the other day. He got to meet the kids and when we were discussing the meeting before bedtime one of the kids, who will remain nameless said, "I liked him, except he wasn't as black as I thought he'd be"!!Politically incorrect, I warned you!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! But your stats are wrong! Sorry to tell you! 80% black South African 10% White South African and 5% Coloured, and 5%other Races. This is closer to the Truth. But in Reality Cape town has a higher White to Black ratio then the majority of the rest of the COuntry. Just thought I would let you know! I LOVE YOU! Fun Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahemmmmmm. how come SOME of us are not aware of this (i'm-doing-a-happy-dance) news?????? are you kidding me????? How can you help but NOT smile when you look at the two of them? Awh! Love you Ruth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS> WOULD YOU PLEASE bring me one of those cutie-pies home??? (not the man... i have enough of those!) .... those darling kids that need a family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is HYSTERICAL! My kids would be the same way :)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter