and kids

and kids

Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July

I was a little bummed when most big fireworks shows around town were happening on Saturday night (the 3rd) instead of on the Fourth. I love the Fourth! I love anything patriotic and I LOVE fireworks! We don't usually go to any of the shows because of the heat and the crowds, but I wanted to try this year. When we realized it was on Saturday I just didn't want to be out late and try to get to church the next morning.

So, I assumed we would do a few sparklers at home and I would try to be happy with that! At least we all had flag shirts! (thanks, Old Navy - our shirts were 2002 - 2010)Sunday lunch we ate at my Mom and Dad's and had an awesome "fourth cookout" with steaks, potato salad, baked beans etc. Mom got red, white and blue cupcakes for the kids. And afterwards, we all got to Skype with Ruth and the kids rode bikes and played football with Papa.
Then, last minute, we got an invite to spend the Fourth with some friends. I used to babysit for the Griggs all the time when I was in high school and when Jason and I first got married we babysat a few years until we started our own family.

They were having a bunch of friends over to swim, eat barbecue and then we were told they would do some fireworks. It was a different experience for us because I think there were about 40 people there and all the kids were middle schoolers and up (except the two Armao girls). The big boys were sweet enough to help my boys make a few baskets during their game.After swimming and eating we moved over to the field where some of the boys were playing with "little" fireworks (you know - the kind we normally buy). And the kids got to do sparklers.and light some fireworks themselves (how scary is this picture?)then on to the real fireworks!!!

We went up on the hill back behind their pool and could watch about five different shows that were off in the distance and then they started their own fireworks, that ended up being no small show. We were sitting right there, front row seats to this massive show. The kids couldn't believe it and (surprisingly) Mac loved it and wasn't afraid of the noise at all.It was exactly what I wanted!! I couldn't get any fireworks pictures because I forgot to do the settings on my camera properly and it was too dark to see to change anything. This is the only decent one I got.Along with all the Fourth of July fun, we got to be a part of an engagement also. Their oldest daughter, Audrey, had a surprise visit from her boyfriend that night. He was waiting for her with a diamond ring!! Of course, Mollee was ecstatic by this event!! She loves Miss Audrey and she loves "love"!!!As we were leaving, Mr. Griggs told the kids, "If you come once, you have to come every year". A very dangerous comment to make to a bunch of children.

We had a blast! (no pun intended)

2 comments:

Site Meter