and kids

and kids

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gardening with kids!

My mother and I are a lot alike, but when it comes to plants - not so much. She could work out in her flowers/yard/garden all day, and she has a gorgeous yard to prove her love. I, on the other hand, do my best. If I'm going to spend the day outside, I'd rather it be with a book sitting in the sun, preferably by the pool - not digging in dirt.

Our yard has horrible soil so it takes even a greater effort to make it happen. I have my daffodils come up in the spring and I'll plant pansies at the mailbox in the fall. Right now, I'm in the process of transplanting a lot of monkey grass from my mom's yard to a big bed along our sidewalk. Nothing will grow there, so I'm hoping the monkey grass will just take over - low maintenance is the key!

Yesterday, I took a trip to Home Depot, got hanging ferns for my front porch and bought some flowers to pot and some Moisture Control potting soil - I need all the help I can get. Of course, I had help. Capps wanted to water the newly potted flowers but could barely pick up the watering can, so we could only fill it 1/3 full each time- imagine how long that took!Our house isn't grand looking on the outside (although we are about to start some major outdoor repairs, renovations and painting - picked out colors today!) so I love to spruce it up with potted plants on the front porch.
Now I just have to keep everything watered....
Unfortunately, my track record isn't great in this department!

3 comments:

  1. yay for home repairs! love all the new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paint? Shutters and stuff? are you fixing the Deck? I want to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I can tell, the front of your house looks very inviting and homey!

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter