and kids

and kids

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

To fight it, or not to fight it!

None of my kids took a pacifier, and Capps is my only thumb sucker. He is now 5 1/2 and it is time (or past time) to work on him trying to stop - right? Of course, it is also time to get my almost-3-year-old potty trained, but I'm not there yet either. UGH! The pediatrician says it is the dentist's call and the dentist said we'll talk about it next time, which should be about now but I haven't made that appointment yet.

In theory, Capps only sucks his thumb at night - really it is only when he is holding his frog. For the past couple years, I don't think I've ever seen him sucking his thumb, except when I check in on the boys before I go to bed. Usually, if he is sucking his thumb during the day I can link it to something he is stressed about. I just encourage him to put his frog back on his bed, but clearly, sometimes, he just needs it and 'Momma ain't going to fight it'.

My first step has been to just talk about it. And we have been talking about it lately, which I don't know if that has put more stress on him or not, but this morning he was so proud because he had "lost" his frog in the night and stated that he didn't even try to find it, he just tried to sleep without frog and without sucking his thumb. I asked him why he thought he sucked his thumb and he clearly said, "Because if I don't suck my thumb at night I think too much".

My mind runs a mile-a-minute at night, so if I could turn it off by sucking my thumb maybe I should do the same?
And now, for my sake of memories *sniff*sniff*
11-months old and hanging out in his crib with Frog:
Age 2 - jumping on Mommy's bed with frog (before the head shaving began, when he truly had 'monkey hair'):Age 2 1/2 - Frog joins us at breakfast:
So, I know it is time, but I don't look forward to fighting it, that is his comfort - how can I take that away?

1 comment:

  1. Hey well, Drew can relate -- he actually lost his blanket last week in either Walmart or Bi-Lo. Sad, sad day. (He does have a spare, tho...)

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter