and kids

and kids

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chores

OK, I am not the best mother in the world to talk to about getting your child to do chores. This is an area I really struggle with. I'm OCD, and I want it done my way. For example, when the kids put their clean clothes away, nothing makes it in the drawer still folded.


Over and over again we've discussed different things that they could do, but never put anything into action. I'm not saying that the kids don't help out and I walk around like a maid (although, I feel like that sometimes?).

Well, I've decided that I am not being a good mother if I don't teach them responsibility. So here we go, again!

Here is what we are doing (on top of 7:00 clean-up before bed):


I think Mollee (3rd grader) and Tavis (2nd grader) need a little more responsibility than the others. When I need her to, Mollee has to shift the laundry from washer to dryer and then from dryer to basket. Tavis has to take the kitchen garbage out to the big can, which usually needs to go out once a day. He can't push the full can to the road for pickup, but after it has been dumped, he has to pull it back to the house. Mollee and Tavis also tag-team the dishwasher. Mollee does cups and plates, Tavis does plastics and silverware. Mollee is also learning to wash the dishes after she bakes with me.


Daegan (going to be in kindergarten) actually loves to do chores. He always gets the mail for me and when I have some to be picked up he takes it to the box in the morning. He also empties all the little garbage cans into the kitchen garbage once or twice in the week. He likes to run the vacuum if he can, but our vacuum is heavy and sometimes is hard to push. He always wants to set the table for dinner and loves to help me collect laundry.


Capps (5) and Mac (2) have a lot less to do, but I think that is only fair, as long as they have to help with things down the road. Capps is responsible for getting the paper, which he loves that it is his job. Sometimes, he'll empty the garbages instead of Daegan. Mac can clean his own room, which really means all toys are thrown in his closet.


After dinner everyone has to clear their plate. Mollee has to clear Daddy's plate and Tavis has to clear Mommy's plate. As I said before, I usually get them to help me put the laundry away and just don't look at the state it is in later on - it is clean, right? I also have enjoyed getting everyone to help carry in groceries. Even Mac will get the lightest bag to carry in.


I know there are other little things they do, but I'm open to suggestions if you've got some?

2 comments:

  1. "Which really means all toys are thrown in his closet" - yeah, PRETTY MUCH!! Once, the girls 'cleaned' by throwing everything on top of their beds. Thank you, but not helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just about to start a chore chart for Braden! I think it's definitely time to give him a little responsibility.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter